0161 772 3382

Student Computer Insurance

Student Computer Insurance

If you are a student and just want to insure your laptop, iPad or tablet then look no further. We can offer a standalone insurance for students product that will insure your portable computer without having to take out a basic level of possessions insurance with us.

This alternative student insurance policy can also provide insurance for mobile phone, iPhone or smartphone, gadgets and other items requiring insurance in a bundle without the requirement to take out the student contents insurance policy.

Why Choose Us:

  • New for Old cover
  • Low £25 claim excess
  • Cover up to £3,000 in total for computer equipment
  • Instant cover available – no waiting period

Try Combining Laptop Computer Cover With Students Contents Insurance

As a Student at University it may be cheaper to insure your portable computer equipment as part of the student contents insurance package so please obtain a student possessions insurance quote as well, By combining student laptop insurance with our student contents insurance not only will you save money on the cost of the insurance you will also benefit from a lower policy excess of only £10.

Policy Features

At Cover4students we understand that you may already have student insurance for personal possessions within your accommodation via University Block Insurance (i.e. If you are in halls of residence) or under your parents’ home insurance policy – so why should you have to take out a full insurance for students contents policy to extend the cover to include your laptop? Well now you don’t, Cover4students has an insurance for students product that allows you to just cover the items you require such as your laptop or tablet.

Our policy covers you for:

  • Laptop cover up to £3,000 in total.
  • Theft - Covers your laptop if it is stolen from your person or your property. Please note that there is no forcible violent entry or exit to the property requirement for your laptop to be covered.
  • Covered anywhere within the UK
  • Accidental damage cover – e.g. if you spill a drink on your laptop or you drop your tablet.
  • Covered in shared accommodation without any forcible violent entry or exit requirements to your room or the property.
  • New for Old cover – meaning we replace items on a new for old basis regardless of age.
  • Low £25 claim excess – you only pay the first £25 of any claim.

Equipment covered

  • Desktop PCs and laptops
  • Tablets, PDAs, palm tops and iPads
  • Printers, scanners, key boards, monitors, mouses and hard drives


If you purchase laptop insurance for students from Cover4Students, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover and provide you with your personal policy schedule, policy wording and policy summary documents.

You will also have the option for a printed copy to be sent via post subject to an additional postage premium being paid.

We also provide the option below for you to view and download the Policy Wording and Policy Summary documents so that you can view prior to purchase or at any time after.

How to view the policy documents

The insurance for students policy documents are available as PDFs. To view these documents you will need a PDF reader. Download Adobe Reader from the
Adobe website or visit Access Adobe for help. To view your documents, please click on the links below:

Policies Purchased after 01/08/2023   
Adobe PDF Policy Wording  Claims Form 
Adobe PDF Policy IPID  
Policies Purchased after 01/03/2023
Policies Purchased up to 01/03/2023
Adobe PDF Policy Wording  Claims FormPolicy Wording Adobe PDF
Adobe PDF Policy IPIDPolicy IPID Adobe PDF
Insurance Product Information Document.


To start the claims process, please complete the Claims Form provided below. Before submitting your claim, please read your policy schedule to make sure you are covered and have a valid claim.

Fill out the online claims form here:  Make A Claim

Phone: 0161 974 1101


Cover4students Claims Team,

Stream Claims Services,

Copthall House,

King Street,

Newcastle under Lyme,

ST5 1EL.

If you have a valid claim please complete our online claim form listed above and return it along with:

  • Receipts, bills, valuations or repair estimates as appropriate for all claims for loss or damage.
  • Full details of accident or injury and early prognosis for personal accident claims.

All claims for theft or loss must be reported to the police.

In some cases we may arrange either for a member of our staff or an independent chartered loss adjuster to discuss your claim with you. This is not always necessary but when it is we will advise you of the name and address of the loss adjuster and monitor progress of the claim for you.

Please don’t worry if we arrange for a loss adjuster or member of staff to visit you. It is a normal claims procedure and aims to speed up consideration of claims.

Certain types of claims will be considered directly by the insurers if refereed to them by cover4students.com


We strongly recommend that you read the insurance for students policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that apply to your policy with us. These can be downloaded from the Documents Tab located above.

What Is Not Insured

  • The first £25 of any loss.
  • Any amount above the sum insured selected for laptop.
  • The cost of replacing data and software, which has not been purchased commercially.
  • Loss or damage caused by or arising from:

    • Wear and tear, depreciation or any gradually operating cause.
    • Faulty design or workmanship or the use of faulty materials.
    • Moths, insects, parasites, beetle or vermin.
    • Corrosion, fungus, mildew or rot.
    • Atmospheric or climatic conditions, frost or the action of light.
    • Mechanical or electrical breakdown or derangement or use contrary to the manufacturer’s instructions.
    • Any process of dyeing, cleaning, drying, painting, washing, repair, alteration, maintenance, decoration, restoration or dismantling.
  • Property used for business purposes.
  • Depreciation in value, indirect loss or property more specifically insured by this or any other insurance.
  • Loss or damage by any heating process.
  • Loss or damage occurring at the insured address when you have not stayed at the insured address for 30 consecutive days or more.
  • Customs or other official body confiscating your belongings.
  • Loss or damage caused by pets.

Your Duty of Care

You must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent accidents, loss and damage.


My “laptop / tablet / desktop computer” was purchased outside of the UK can I still insure it?
Yes, we can insure your “laptop / tablet / desktop computer” – but if the item needs to be replaced it will be replaced with a UK model /version to the closest specification.

Is cover on a new for old basis?
Yes, we replace items where necessary on a new for old basis to the same specification or the next model up where this isn’t possible. For example if the model is no longer made.

My “laptop / tablet / desktop computer” is over 12 months old can this be covered as other firms exclude this?
Yes, there is no age limit on our policy. Please note that items are replaced on a new for old basis so if a claim does happen it will be replaced like for like with a similar item which is determined by your current items specification.

Am I covered for ‘Walk in Theft’ for my laptop?
Yes, there is no requirement on the policy for forcible and violent entry or exit to the property. You would however need to report the theft to the police and gain a crime reference number.

What does ‘Walk in Theft’ cover mean’?
This basically means that there doesn’t need to be a physical break-in to the property. As we are a specialist student insurer we understand that students often live in shared accommodation and we take this into account. For example – say somebody comes back to your property with one of your flat mates, this person then enters your room and steals your laptop, as long as you report the incident to the police then you are still covered.

Please note that you do still have a duty of care requirement under the policy (you must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent loss) with this in mind you should close windows and lock main entry and exit doors when you leave the property.

What is accidental damage to a laptop?
If you drop your tablet or spill a drink on your laptop these incidents count as accidental damage.

Does the policy cover my laptop (tablet, laptop, IPad) outside of the property?
Yes, you are automatically covered for your laptop anywhere within the United Kingdom.

Does the policy cover my laptop (tablet, laptop, IPad) outside UK?
Under this product we cannot cover you outside of the UK but we can offer a separate product which can cover up to 90 days worldwide. Please click here for more information.

What is a laptop?
Laptop is defined as: Laptops, desktops, tablets, iPads, printers, scanners, monitors, keyboards and mouses.

Can insure more than one laptop/tablet/computer?
Yes, you will just need to insure up to the total cost of the multiple items i.e. tablet £250 x 2 = £500 so you should add £500 cover for laptop.

Does the policy cover my laptop for mechanical breakdown?
No, our laptop insurance is designed to cover your items for theft or accidental damage. This insurance will not cover you for breakdown of the laptop as a result of mechanical failure, electronic faults or problems with computers construction which should be covered under an items warranty.

We have updated our Cookie Policy and our Privacy policy. Cookies are used to ensure we provide the best customer experience. Continued use of this website assumes your acceptance of these policies.